2009年6月1日 星期一

Idioms' Pictures and Rehearsal





















May 25, My American friend, Sharon, and my seniors students had interviews one another. Most of the questions for Sharon were like: “What’s your favorite food in Taiwan?”, “Do you like stinky tofu?”, “What’s your first image (impression) of Taiwan?”, “Have you thought about adopting a Taiwanese child?” My 60-year-old American friend, who has two adopted children -- one is American the other is Korean, responded, “I don’t thing I still have energy to adopt any kids.” She also answered all the questions they had for her. At the end, she asked them about their jobs and families. Some of them are homemakers, but they said they are “housekeepers”. So I made some examples regarding impression and image, also talked about the difference between housekeeper and homemaker in today’s class (June 1) as a warm-up.

According to Professor Terry Doyle’s idea and suggestion in the comment of my blog, on May 13 09’, he wrote: … that idioms may be best taught when we show a picture to accompany that idiom. ….. The idea is that the pictures serve as mnemonic aid.I applied this idea in today’s animal idioms review. (The pictures are attached below.) My students all agreed this idea helped them memorize idioms easily.I’ve recorded the idioms review and described what I’m doing with that recording. I also mentioned my instructors, Aiden and Terry, and the greetings from them to my students. The record would be combined with the following classes and burned into DVDs for the study.

We started doing the rehearsal for June 19 performance (closing ceremony). Most of them got a part. (The skit lines are attached below.) We also did the song “Put your head on my shoulder” practice with some movements. We’ll continue to do the rehearsal again next time. I hope we still have time to watch and learn something new from the movies, Joy Luck Club and Bella, teaching materials provided by Professor Terry Doyle.

Cindy R Shih
----------------------------------------------------------------------
HEN SKIT:

Don't Put All Your Eggs in One Baskit

Narrator: The chickens are in the hen house. It is more difficult for them to lay eggs because they are no spring chickens any more.
Hen 1: When would you lay your next egg?
Hen 2: I don’t know. It would take me longer than before.
Hen 3: Ha! Ha! You are not young any more.
See! (Show them her new egg and then walk away.)
Hen 4: Look at my new egg! Isn’t it beautiful?
Hen 5: I think mine is more beautiful and bigger than all of yours.
Narrator: Finally, they all lay their new eggs, and talk about where to store their eggs.
Hen 5: Let’s put all the eggs in this pretty basket.
Hen 4: Then we can sell them in the market and buy other foods.
Housekeeper: No! No! No! Don’t put all the eggs in one basket. It is risky.
Hen 3: Where else can we put some eggs in?
Housekeeper: We can store some eggs in the cabinet.
Narrator: They agree with the housekeeper’s idea, but they forget to take the basket into the hen house. The next morning, a sneaky fox comes and steals the basket away.
Hen 2: We lost our eggs in the basket.
Hen 1: We didn’t lose the all eggs, we still have some in our cabinet. Our housekeeper is
very trustworthy.
All hens: Yes, we can always count on him.
Housekeeper: You can put your head on my shoulder.
(All sing, Put Your Head on My Shoulder !)
------------------------------------------------------------------
Animal Idioms' Pictures:

Monkey see monkey do No spring chicken As a sneaky fos at the hen house

Love me love my dog Raining cats & dogs The cat is out of the bag













1 則留言:

  1. Hi, Cindy. I like your way of teaching idioms.
    Your pictures are really nice and very useful for this activity. I think finding the appropriate pictures is the key. You have really great pictures. There is an idioms dictionary with such pictures, but I like your pictures better. My student teacher had that dictionary, but right now I don't have the name. I will find out and tell you later.

    You will have a performance on June 19. I wish I could attend. But maybe you will take pcitues or even make a video?
    Sorry that I have sent the Movie materials so late. Now you have only a little time to watch a movie. Will you have this class next term? If so, will you have some of the same students? In My Video ESL class, some of my students keep coming back semester after semester... especially my senior students. They asked me which movies I will show next semester. Because they keep repeating this class, I show different movies each semester... and keep making new materials. Next semester I plan to start with "Music Within." But if I see some very interesting movie this summer, I may change my mind.
    I will type the names of my eight students who want to share opinions with your students in an e-mail.

    回覆刪除